This salad makes for the PERFECT dinner during the summer months; it takes minimal time to prepare and is light, nutritious, and delicious. We found this recipe from the Cooking Light Magazine. The recipe got 5/5 stars and out of the 92 people that reviewed the salad, all had nothing but great things to say about it. We decided to give this salad a shot and were very happy with the outcome. Everything about this salad is perfect… from the “spicy” kick that the dressing offers to the wonderful flavor that is brought out by grilling the corn to the moist taste of the rotisserie chicken (to cut even more time from preparing this dish we bought rotisserie chicken- but you can certainly just buy chicken breasts and grill it up yourself).
for the dressing:
- 1/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 C light sour cream
- 1 T minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
for the salad:
- 4 C shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 C chopped rotisserie chicken OR roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 1 C cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 C diced peeled avocado
- 1/3 C thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Fresh Corn (preferably grilled because it makes corn taste AMAZING!)- how ever many you like- we made the salad for two and put 3 in….but we did have leftovers.
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients…stir well! To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately. If you are not going to eat this salad right away- do not dress it until you are ready to eat. This way, the lettuce will not get soggy!