About a month ago, we shared a recipe that starred black rice…Brazilian Black Rice & Shrimp. If you still have not made this, you might want to…because honestly, you are missing out. Another reason you might want to make this dish is for the incredible health benefits of black rice.
A few weeks ago, we came across an article on CCN, Is Black Rice the New Brown?. We highlighted some of the benefits of black rice below:
- black rice bran contains the antioxidants known as anthocyanins, purple and reddish pigments that have been linked to a decreased risk of heart disease and cancer, improvements in memory, and other health benefits.
- anti-inflammatory and cholesterol lowering
- Good Source of Iron & Fiber
- Gluten and Wheat Free
- Whole Grain
Where can you find it?
More and more grocery stores are selling products that have previously been hard to find. So check your local grocery store first. Stores such as Wegmans and Whole Foods should definitely have Black Rice. If you are having a difficult time finding it, you can always order it online. Lotus Foods is a popular company that sells Black Rice (Forbidden Rice) online.
What are you going to do with this rice?
There are plenty of ways to use black rice. In addition to our Brazilian Black Rice and Shrimp recipe, we found some other recipes that look great…
- Black Rice Pudding
- Poached Eggs over Rice
- Fried Forbidden Rice
- Forbidden Rice Risotto with Roasted Pumpkin and Chinese Broccoli
- Coconut Black Rice Pudding
If you end up trying out any of these recipes, please let us know!
QUESTION: What type of rice do you typically use in your cooking?