This recipe for Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms and Thyme comes from Bon Appetit. Before I made this recipe, I wondered if this would really be like risotto. As it turns out, this is not like risotto. The consistency of risotto is much more creamy. However, do not let that turn you away from this recipe! Although it is not risotto, trust me, it is delicious (and healthy!). This recipe is perfect as a side dish or a main dish. Leftovers would also be great, on it’s own or scooped on top of a salad.
Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms and Thyme
Serves 4 main courses or 6 side dish servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 8-ounce package sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring 2 cups of salted water to boil in medium saucepan. Add quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender and water is absorbed, about 13 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until onion begins to brown, 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and thyme. Saute until mushrooms are tender, 6 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until reduced and syrupy, 2 minutes.
- Mix quinoa into mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
Nutritional Information: One serving contains the following: Calories (kcal) 320.1; %Calories from Fat 32.1 ; Fat (g) 11.4; Saturated Fat (g) 2.3; Cholesterol (mg) 10.0; Carbohydrates (g) 38.3; Dietary Fiber (g) 13.1; Total Sugars (g) 6.2; Net Carbs (g) 25.2; Protein (g) 16.8