Can’t believe that it has already been four days since running the Boston Marathon! By the way, if you havent read our Boston Marathon race recap or weekend recap just click on the links! The soreness is pretty much gone. We are walking like normal human beings again…wohoo! Still pretty exhausted, though. Today we did some very light upper body lifting and minimal core work and we were absolutely exhausted in a mere fifteen minutes! Definitely still in recovery mode. Tomorrow I have decided to get into the pool to do a light workout (and maybe some core/weight lifting). It will feel nice to get back into it…but believe me, I will be taking it very easy! I might even end up in the hot tub or sauna for most of the time!
Anyway…onto the topic of today’s post…
Kristin (Iowa Girls Eats) has really been providing me with some fantastic recipes lately. I’ve tried her Arancini Casserole, Caramel Apple Crisp and last but not least…I made her Chicken Spinach Artichoke Casserole! I served this dish as part of the “sunday family dinner” I made for my friends a couple weeks back. It came out delicious!!! I have just been loving casserole/one-dish meals lately….makes things much more simple/easy! This dish was a hit with my friends! The spices and cheese added such a great flavor to the meal. Even my friends who thought they “hated” artichokes (for some reason a lot of people think they hate artichokes without even giving them a chance) said that they loved the artichokes in this dish! Winner. Try it out for yourself! P.S. Sorry for the not-so-fantastic photos!
- 8 oz. dried bow tie pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 oz.)
- 1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped (I used roasted tomatoes- from Wegman’s)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In medium skillet cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. In bowl whisk together eggs, milk, seasoning, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir in chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, artichokes, spinach, tomatoes, half of the Parmesan, cooked pasta, and onion. Transfer to a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole.
3. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. In small bowl combine remaining Parmesan, bread crumbs, paprika, and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over pasta. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until golden. Makes 6 to 8 servings.