“Oh that’s gonna leave a mark”- Epic/Embarrassing Running Falls

by Mary & Christina on April 3, 2011 · 18 comments

On Saturday morning I geared up to run my last long run (20 miles) before the Boston Marathon (although I do have 12 miles next week but now that is just pocket change!). My friend Megan had to run 8 miles so she ran 4 with me (and turned around and ran the last 4 on her own).  It started out as a very nice run…I was feeling good and was enjoying myself out there (and took a new route so it made things exciting!).

at mile 8 this song came on: Coming Home- Diddy

I guess I got a little TOO into the song because I failed to realize that I was approaching a driveway and that the elevation of the sidewalk changed.  Before I knew it I was flying face first into the ground. It was a hard fall….a REALLY hard fall.  It took me about 10 seconds to realize what happened and when I realized I was in pain, I started to cry!  I know, I know…I am such a baby!  Sidenote: a man in a Comcast van saw the whole thing and was laughing at me and didn’t ask if I was okay…so nice, eh?  Anyway I got back up, brushed myself off, retrieved my ipod that had flow five feet in front of me and checked out the damage.  Yup… I was bleeding pretty badly from both knees, my palms, and my fingers (?).  And to top it off, it started to rain. My luck.  I decided to run a mile back to my  gym to clean up, get some fuel, and assess the situation.  As I started running again, this quote (below) from Tommy Boy came to mind and I started to hysterically laugh.  Whoever was driving by at the time probably thought I was a crazed person.

“Oh, that’s gonna leave a mark”

Another side-note: it honestly astonishes me that a lot of people havent seen Tommy Boy.  For some reason I always just assumed that people have seen it.  It’s a classic.  But anyway…if you are one of those weird people out there who havent seen this movie (I am totally kidding…or am I?)…do so right after you finish reading this post…please!

Anyway- I got to the gym and cleaned up a bit. They offered me bandaids and such but I knew they would just slip off when I started to sweat again so I declined the offer (but it was very kind of them!).  I had 10.4 miles left to go and to be honest- the thought of throwing in the towel did cross my mind for about 10 seconds and then I quickly told myself to SUCK IT UP and get back out there!  I finished the run… I wont lie…it hurt (especially when I would stop at a traffic light and start back up again) but I did it and that’s all that matters.  I figured that if I can’t push through this pain then I shouldnt be running the Boston Marathon in a couple weeks…makes sense, right? I am not a wimp!!!!  I will say though…I was limping around and in pain the rest of the day…especially walking up and down stairs!

But in all seriousness I hope I am okay. Today I had to run 5 miles and I made it only about 1.5 miles. My right knee was in a ton pain and I realized I was being really stupid trying to run through it.  After talking to Mary she made me realize that I have finished all of my training…the work is done.  I am supposed to be tapering…healing my body and reaping the benefits of all the work that I put in over the months.  Why risk it now? I need to rest and get better. I hope it’s just bruising and nothing serious.  Monday is a scheduled rest day anyway but if i still do not feel better by Tuesday I will just cross train or rest again.

Question: what is your most embarrassing running story?

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Elizabeth April 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm

My most embarrassing running story? The first marathon I ran, I had a cold and snot dripping down my face (I couldn’t stop the flow – it was nasty). I was also alongside a guy with bloody nipples – think white shirt and lots of blood. This race was small (no cheering sections, only 30 people running it, open roads, etc.), and a truck pulled up to us to ask if they needed to call for help for both of us. Umm… no thanks. Southern hospitality at its best! Actually, this may be the grossest running story ever. Haha! I hope you heal up okay!

2 Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal April 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Ugh so sorry about your fall. I had one of those terrible falls one morning when I was running with my husband but it was way back when we were first dating and so it was SUPER embarrasing. It was early in the morning so I did not see a giant stick on the side of the road – I was running up ahead of him (haha – I think I was trying to show him I was fast or something) – and I tripped and totally hurt my wrist/hand badly. It hurt for weeks – ugggh – the things we do for the sake of a run ;) What wave/coral are you in for Boston?!

3 Mary & Christina April 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm

hahah love your story!!!! I believe I am in the 2nd wave, 7th corral but I think my sister said we never updated our times and are going to try to switch corrals when we get there? what about you???? I was just looking on your blog…you are speedy! what time are you going for??? and 2 in 2 months? BEAST!! haha

4 Karyn April 3, 2011 at 5:24 pm

i’m glad that (overall) you’re okay! woooooooooooooooooot for the last 20 of training. let the taper begin! you are tough for getting through the last 10+ of those miles. i totally know the whole painful to start / stop thing. for my it band i’d practically sprint at lights so that i wouldn’t have to stop ahaha

i’ve definitely fallen before. and run into trees and branches before. for someone so athletic i sure can be a klutz!

5 lindzzzzz April 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm

awww hope your okay !!! let the knee heal !! and remember always push through ;)
p.s. tommy boy is SOOOOOOOO hilarious bahaha

6 Mary & Christina April 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm

me too. a girl on the cross country team told me she fell on her knee once too and then got tendonitis and was out for 4 months? dear god I hope that doesnt happen to me! haha but anyway NICE usage of the Philadelphia Marathon slogan. very sly how you just put that in there. hahaha dude i miss you so much I cant wait to hang out again… BROAD STREET run is up next…I can only imagine the time you are going to get you beast you. hope youre doing well lindz miss you

7 lindzzzz April 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm

positive thinking !!!! and im running with you and mary for broad street. we are all kickin azz . oh yeahhh

8 Mary & Christina April 3, 2011 at 5:56 pm

as long as you dont mind running a little slower than you are capable of!

9 Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Ouch!! Sorry about your fall, but at least you’re okay. :) I can;t really think of a most embarrassing running story..although I did fall off the elliptical one day at the gym and just about everyone rushed over to make sure I was ok. Which was nice..but I would have rather it have been a “nobody saw that” kind of deal. ;)

10 Tara April 3, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Oh my goodness that sounds rough! You’re still gonna rock Boston though :) I definitely want to run it one day!
My most embarassing running “fall” was during our annual turkey trot 5k. It’s very low key, and it was really wet, rainy day. Lots of people + slippery ground = bad. They started the run and within the first 100 yards I was tripped and I went tumbling to the ground, meanwhile people are stepping on me, pointing, and laughing! I was curled up in a ball for protection. So scary!

11 Mary & Christina April 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I cannot believe that none of the runners stopped to help you back on your feet!!! I could only imagine how scary that must have been!

12 Jamie April 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Oh no!!!! That STINKS that you fell- I totally would have cried too if it makes you feel any better! Scraping up your knees is painful as a kid..and I bet it is 10x more painful now! Ahhh. Rest up, I’m sure you will feel better soon!!!

I was super embarrassed when I was running about a month ago.. a car of guys honked at me wildly and i shook my head and gave them a dirty look. (Like leave me ALONE, I’m running not trying to get hit on!) Later my boyfriend’s friend asked why I didn’t wave back.. bahhahaha! How conceited of me to think it wasn’t just someone I knew saying hi!!

13 Mary & Christina April 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm

thanks jamie! and your story is great! hahaha but I understand…most times people honk at you its NOT to say hello. so I could see why you assumed that hahahah

14 ELizabeth April 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I have busted my ass so many times on runs that now I am kind of surprised when it doesn’t happen. Bloody hands, knees, and even my stomach, as well as a ruined pair of running pants, have all resulted from my falls. My worst fall was about 3 days before I ran the Philly marathon, and yes some dude pulled up in a car, laughing his ass off, but at least asking me if I was ok. I recovered and ran the marathon. You and your sister will do awesome at Boston. Ok so most embarrassing story? I once ran 3 miles in shorts that were inside out.

15 Mary & Christina April 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm

that makes me feel a TON better that you had a bad fall only 3 days before a marathon. at least i have 2 weeks to recover. I havent tried running today…I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens… and how rude of that guy in the car! you think he would asked if you were okay!!! geez. but running with your shorts inside out…sounds wonderful. you should have just gone with it and made it a fashion statement haha

16 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

My falls are so frequent I don’t even remember half of them! I do have an embarassing bike story though! When I was younger I was biking around my neighborhood and decided it would be fun to cut through the grass instead of on the sidewalk and lost control, hit a stationary car, and the wing/spoiler on the back caught my tummy and sent me FLYING into my front yard.

so. embarassed. I think I had a tiny cut and ran into the house whailing “there’s blood!!! am I going to die!?” if that had happened today i’d be quoting step bros “THERE’S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!!!!”

totally love tommy boy! hubs always sings “fat guy in a little coat” when he gets dressed ;)