the best fried flounder you will ever have

by Mary & Christina on June 20, 2011 · 11 comments

Our family is originally from the Atlantic City/Margate  area which is located on the coast of South Jersey.  So it’s no wonder why one of our favorite meals growing up was Fried Flounder.  When we were kids we would go fishing with our Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop and catch a ton of flounder.  Then we would come back and my Mom-Mom would make the best fried flounder ever.  I always order it in restaurants, but nothing compares to my Mom-Mom’s!

This past weekend, my parents caught a couple of flounder and my Mom sent me home with some.  This was my first fried flounder of the season and it was absolutely delicious.  It was incredibly fresh and tasted absolutely amazing.  I served it with roasted brussels sprouts, corn on the cob, and sweet potato fries (not pictured).

_

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Karyn June 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

that just looks like pure summer. and it was fresh flounder?! delicious

2 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Yum!! I’ve been wanting some fish n’ chips lately but since I have a gluten allergy it’s not something I can order out. I will have to try your version at home with GF bread crumbs. Looks great!

3 Allie June 23, 2011 at 1:37 am

So lucky that you had fresh fish!! I have been craving fish like crazy lately. I especially love it with fresh lemon, delish!

4 Dave March 30, 2013 at 1:47 am

HaHa ! Love to fish for them and eat them too, My Mom was from AC too and her family used to own the K & F Inn. I personally prefer to deep fry them vs pan fry so no egg or milk. I use one of those crock pots that also doubles as a deep fryer and always do it outside so as not to stink or grease up the place. FRESH flounder is also nice broiled with butter and a dash of OLD BAY and don’t forget stuffing it with crab imperial. And you got it right with the fresh silver queen corn but I also would throw in some fresh Italian tomato salad and a good baguette and a couple of cold Yueng’s. I’ll be hitting them in Wachapreague, Va. in early May so wish me luck !!!

5 Mary & Christina March 31, 2013 at 6:03 pm

that is awesome that your family owned Knife and fork! love it there! yummm stuffed with crab that sounds like a good idea ;)

6 Lottie October 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I have to say, for my very first time every cooking flounder. This turn out just like the picture and my son said it was delicious mom. It was truly delicious fried flounder, cheese grits and eggs.

7 Mary & Christina October 25, 2013 at 8:35 am

hi Lottie! oh I am so happy that you and your son liked the flounder!!! This recipe brings back such fond memories of my mommom for me… makes me so happy everytime i make it :)

8 Casey March 22, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Mary,

I cooked up some fresh caught flounder using your recipe, and I now like flounder again! My 3 & 4 year olds loved it too!

Casey

9 Lara March 22, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe. I’ve never cooked flounder before nor have I made fish this way. Made fresh bread crumbs and it was really great. And super easy! Thanks again…

10 Mary Ellen August 10, 2014 at 7:59 am

Bestest ever! So simple! Add fresh Jersey corn as a side with hand-cut shoestring potatoes and mmmmmmmmmmm! Thanks from Succasunna, NJ!

11 Brent Davis September 11, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Tasted like i was back in jersey. Made the flounder taste amazing.