There is something so comforting about a bowl of soup, especially during the fall and winter. My great friend, Lauren, came over last week and we made Jenna’s Carrot Ginger soup. It came out fantastic and was just what we were craving on a rainy, lazy night. It was so easy to prepare and so delicious. It brought back some memories of my awesome spicy roasted sweet potato carrot with ginger soup that I made last winter. I almost forgot about how great of a soup that is. I love it because the vegetables are roasted so the sweetness of the vegetables really stand out in the soup. Soup is so fun and I don’t think that I could ever get sick of it. I actually have plans to make two new soups in the next week, so I will definitely be sharing those recipes soon!
The recipe that I am sharing today comes from the August 2006 issue of Bon Appetit Magazine. My mom and I have been wanting to make this recipe for corn and crab soup with crispy tortilla strips ever since we first came across it last year. We finally got around to making this about a month ago and I am finally sharing the recipe with everyone…better late than never!
I think that this soup would best be enjoyed in the spring/beginning of summer or towards the end of summer/beginning of fall. It is a light and flavorful soup and the flavor combination of crab and corn is perfect. Also, do not miss out on making your own tortilla strips. Sure, they may not look like anything special, but, trust me, they were so delicious.
corn and crab soup with crispy tortilla strips
- 3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 6 medium ears of corn), divided, corn cobs reserved
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup (or more) water
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, stems cut off and reserved, leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño chile
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder or regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 teaspoon (or more) fresh lime juice
- Crispy tortilla strips (recipe below)
- Break corn cobs in half and place in large pot. Add chicken broth, 1 cup water, cilantro stems, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Strain liquid into 4-cup measuring cup; discard solids in strainer. Add enough additional water to corn broth to measure 4 cups.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion; saut until tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, ancho chile powder, and lime peel; stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Reserve 1/3 cup crabmeat for garnish. Combine 2 cups corn kernels and 1 cup corn broth in blender; puree until almost smooth. Add to saucepan with onion mixture. Add remaining 3 cups corn broth and 1 1/2 cups corn kernels; bring to simmer. Add remaining crabmeat, 1 teaspoon lime juice, and 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more lime juice, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with some of reserved crabmeat. Sprinkle each with remaining chopped cilantro leaves and Crispy Tortilla Strips and serve.
Crispy Tortilla Strips
- Vegetable oil (for frying) (I used canola oil)
- 6 (5- to 6-inch-diameter) corn tortillas, cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- Coarse kosher salt
- Ancho chile powder
- Pour enough vegetable oil into medium skillet to reach depth of 3/4 inch. Heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- Add 1/4 of tortilla strips to skillet and cook until crisp and light golden, about 45 seconds.
- Using tongs or slotted spoon, transfer tortilla strips to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and ancho chile powder. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips in 3 batches. Cool.