Hope you all had a nice weekend! Friday night my sister & her boyfriend and one of my best friends, Brad, and his gf Marissa (and Harry and I of course!) went out to dinner at Agiato in Manayunk (philadelphia). I really like Agiato but have not been in awhile! They closed it for a bit because they were changing the menu a little bit and expanding the restaurant. The new menu was really good…we all had a really nice time…it was so nice to relax for once and have some wine and hang out with my sister and Brad….who I have been neglecting! The rest of the weekend pretty much STUNK. All I did was study. Literally. By midnight Sunday night I was having back pains like an old lady because I was sitting so much! In two weeks, when this is over I will be enjoying multiple glasses of wine and cocktails . I cant wait. Almost there… ugh.
stole borrowed my Mom’s slow cooker this week. I have actually NEVER used a slow cooker before but always wanted to. I think it is so cool how you can just throw everything into the slow cooker, go to school/work and come home to a dinner ready to be served!
In the fall Harry went on a hunting trip and shot a poor little deer. At first I HATED the fact that he went hunting. The poor little innocent deer was just walking around, minding his own business, and boom…dead. I am sure his family was saddened by Harry’s kill. But after Harry made me venison meatballs and BBQ pulled venison sandwiches…..I kindas sorta LOVED IT. and now I dont really hate the fact that Harry likes to hunt every now and again. You can make me meatballs and BBQ pulled venison anytime!
Anyway…I have been craving some kind of “pulled sandwich” ever since and so I borrowed my mom’s slow cooker (sorry mom but I really dont think you are getting this puppy back…you have two of them anyway! hehehe) and found a great recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod. Before Harry and I went to school on Saturday (yes, I just said Saturday… my life sucks and I am a loser), we stuck the ingredients into the slow cooker, cranked that puppy up, went to school and came home to a delicious feast!!!! This is a great recipe… if you are in the mood for some pulled pork…try this one out!
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 5 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 pieces
- Rolls or buns
- Combine all of the ingredients except the pork butt and the buns in a large slow cooker. Stir together with a spoon until well combined. Add the 2 pieces of pork and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low or until pork is tender and easily pulls apart from the bone.
- Take two forks and shred the pork. Place the pork back into the slow cooker with the remaining sauce. Stir well and serve on rolls or buns.
*Note-this recipe makes a lot. Feel free to cut the recipe in half or freeze the leftovers.
On the side we might a light, fresh, and healthy salad from Rachel Ray- Tomato Onion and Cucumber Salad (you can see it in the photo the pulled pork sandwich above). It was really good! I loved how light it was!
Tomato Onion and Cucumber Salad
- medium plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly slice
- 1/4 red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly slice
- 1 Kirby cucumber (or regular!), halved lengthwise and thinly slice
- A generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoon
- 2 splashes red wine vinega
- Coarse salt and black pepper
Dress the tomatoes, onions, and cucumber with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Let stand while you prepare dinner, about 20 minutes. Re-toss and serve salad with crusty bread for mopping up juices and oil
.My cousin Jen dropped of these HUGE zucchini and rosemary to my apartment this weekend. She grew them herself! This picture doesn’t even do these babies justice…they are seriously GINORMOUS! yes, that is a word. It was so nice of her to drop it off to us! I think zucchini bread is on the list of things to make….Mary? cough cough. hint hint!
Hope you are all having a nice week