This morning my sister, boyfriend, and I went to a 5:15 AM spinning class before work. Sometimes it is hard to get out bed that early, but after working out, I always am so happy that I did it! The class was almost full, too! The instructor was AWESOME and we all had a great workout….my buttocks and hamstrings are so sore now! I am definitely a morning workout type of person- it helps me start my day on the right foot. Are you a morning or afternoon exerciser? Tonight, my sister and I are getting massages/facials (me-facial; mary- massage); she got me a gift certificate to a spa in Manayunk for my birthday. Then we are getting sushi! Kick-butt workout in the early AM, work, facial, and sushi…can this day get any better!? Well, I guess I could have done without work. Have you ever had a facial or massage? Which do you like better?
Before the weather turns warm I have one more soup recipe to share with you! This one I found from the blog LiveLovePasta. I couldnt find the mafalda pasta that the recipe called for so I made do with farfalle pasta…it worked just fine! This soup hearty and warming to the soul, perfect on those cold nights where you are exhausted and just want to cuddle up on the couch I made a big batch of this for my boyfriend when he was away on a rotation living out of hotel for 6 weeks. He loveddddd it and wont stop asking me to make it for him again! It will definitely be added to my recipe repertoire!
- 1.5 pounds hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (we used San Marzano)
- 2 bay leaves (I used dried)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces mafalda pasta (I used Farfalle pasta because I couldnt find mafalda and also used close to 16 oz of pasta instead)
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach (I used more…close to a whole bag of spinach)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the cheese topping:
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, brown sausage over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook sausage for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes, cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Next, add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not overcook or continue to simmer at this point because the pasta will become mushy.
- Stir in basil and spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese mixture which you’ll sprinkle on top of the soup when serving. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Pecorino Romano and mozzarella cheeses; set aside.
- To serve, pour the soup into bowls and add a handful of the cheese mixture to each bowl.
Lots of great recipes to come!
Hope you have a nice night