- 1 1/4 C 7-Grain Bob's Hot Cereal
- 2 1/2 C boiling water
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/4 C unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 1/2 tsp (or 1 package) of instant yeast
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 5 tsp gluten
- 1 T kosher salt
- 3/4 C chopped walnuts
- 1/3 C rolled oats
Prepare Cereal Mixture
- Put cereal in mixing bowl. Pour boiling water, let it stand, stirring occasionally, until it cools to 100 degrees or resembles thick porridge; about 1 hour. Once cereal cools, add honey, butter and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and gluten- set aside.
- Attach dough hook and on low speed add flour 1/2 C at a time, knead until dough firms into ball- about 1.5-2 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic and let dough rest for 20 minutes
- Add 1 T table salt and knead on medium low until dough clears sides of bowl- about 3-4 minutes. Can add additional flour if needed. Continue to knead about 5 minutes more. Add chopped walnuts and knead another 15 seconds.
- Pour the dough out onto a work surface and knead for 2 minutes. Place dough in oiled bowl until it doubles in volume- 45-60 minutes.
Prepare Pans & Second Rise
- Spray two 9x5 load plans with nonstick spread or line with parchment. Shape into two logs. Roll dough in rolled oats and place each dough in loaf pans. Cover slightly with plastic wrap and let it stand for 30-40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- About 10 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375 and bake dough until internal reading reads 200 degrees- about 30-40 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
- A Tip to Know When the Bread is Done: knock on the bread- it should sound "hollow".