- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg , separated
- 7/8 cup buttermilk or milk (I used whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- maple syrup and butter, for serving
- Heat waffle iron. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Whisk yolk with milk and butter.
- Beat egg white until it just holds a 2-inch peak.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients in a thin steady stream while gently mixing with a rubber spatula; be careful not to add liquid faster than you can incorporate it. Toward end of mixing, use a folding motion to incorporate ingredients; gently fold egg white into batter.
- Spread appropriate amount of batter onto waffle iron. Following manufacturer’s instructions, cook waffle until golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes (mine took about 3 minutes). Serve immediately. (You can keep waffles warm on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven for up to 5 minutes.)